Formative evaluation aims at developing students potentiality through different tools of formative evaluation . Let’s see exactly what does it mean ? Formative evaluation can be defined as a series of formal and informal evaluation methods employed by teachers during the learning process in order to modify teaching and learning activities to improve student attainment .
Formative evaluation involves qualitative feedback rather than scores or marks . According to Cowie and Bell formative evaluation is a process used by teachers , and by students to recognise and respond to students learning when learning is going on .
Formative evaluation aims on the use of gained knowledge . It gives more emphasis on the application of knowledge . It has its root in the development of skills . Feedbacks to the students help them to analyse if they have attained the required skills . Timely feedbacks enhances their skills in learning .
Birth of the Term ‘Formative Evaluation’ :
This term firstly appeared in 1967 . It was Michael Scriven who used ‘ Formative Evaluation ‘ firstly . He emphasized on the differnces between the attainment of the knowledge and use of the knowledge . For Scriven , Formative evaluation gathers the information about the effectiveness of the curriculum . Benjamin Bloom used this term in his book ‘Learning For Mastery ‘ in 1968 . In his book he emphasized to us Formative Evaluation’ as a tool for for improving teaching – learning process for students .
It has following special features :
- It gives more emphasis on costructivism .
- It asses the progress in day to day life .
- It gives feedback to students every now and then .
- Formative evaluation
- It provides the information to the teacher . It helps teachers to check their own teaching . Teachers can verify from the students if they follow the taught matter in their daily life .
- It has different tools like Projects , Activity ,Homeworks etc .
- It keeps both teachers as well as students engaged .
- Teachers can use this tool to modify their own teaching . As they observe students progress continuously .
- It develops the decision making ability in students .
- Formative evaluation makes both teacher as well as students more creative .
- In the concrete form teachers can give marks and then they convert it into grades .