- Reasons why suicides desire can be justified.These sare the act of taking one’s own life for a purpose. It is a major leading cause of death all over the world irrespective of developed or developing countries.
A report titled Suicides worldwide in 2019 was published by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as the report estimates approximately 7,03,000 people or one in 100, died by suicide in 2019. It was the fourth leading cause of death among young people aged 15-29 globally.
And only 38 countries are known to have a national suicide prevention strategy.
Although some nations have positioned suicide prevention in their programs.
. There are so many arguments or critics against suicide, however, it can never be justified, but some of you may be surprised to know when it can be justified, so here we will be discussing what are those 3 reasons when we can justify it, apart from this it is very important to know India’s status and it’s initiative along with WHO guidelines and Switzerland’s suicide machine.
3 REASONS WHEN SUICIDE IS JUSTIFIED
1. TO SAVE THE LIVES OF MORE PEOPLE: When a person refuses to give information to an enemy camp to not endanger the lives of others, killing himself is morally right.
Example terror attacks.
2. TO SECURE THE SECURITY OF THE ONE’S OWN COUNTRY FROM THE ENEMY: Suppose a person X is from an intelligence agency or a spy of country A and he is gathering information from being in country B for the sake of his own country and he is caught by the country B in suspect of spying so here the suicide can be justified from person X keeping in mind that now he has been caught and he will be tortured to an extreme level where he has to disclose all the secrets and his further plans.
3. RIGHT TO DIE ON ACCOUNT OF TERMINAL ILLNESS: Terminal illness or end-stage disease which cannot be cured and is expected to result in the death of the patient. In this situation when it seems impossible to recover from suffering then here, the right to die is justified like neurological diseases or Parkinson’s, or advanced cancer.
SWITZERLAND SUICIDE POD
In the recent past, Switzerland has approved the use of a suicide pod developed by an NGO called Exit International, a coffin-shaped suicide capsule, which promises a relatively painless and peaceful death in under one minute.
The end of death takes place through hypoxia and hypocapnia by decreasing the oxygen level to a crucial level in the pod.
SUICIDES IN INDIA AND AN INCREASING NUMBER OF SUICIDES AMONG SECURITY FORCES
1. India has seen a rising trend of suicide since 2019. A total of 1,53,052 cases of suicide were reported in 2020 in India, according to the National Crime Records Bureau provided information.
2. As per the recent Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) data as many as 156 personnel of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) took their own life in 2021, the highest in almost a decade.
In 2012, the total number of CAPF personnel who killed themselves stood at 1,205. The occurrences s a quick growth in the COVID-19 pandemic generated lockdown years, with 143 and 156 committing suicide in 2020 and 2021 respectively.
From 2012 to 2019, the numbers stood at 118, 113, 125, 108, 92, 125, 96, and 129 respectively.
1. MANODARPAN INITIATIVE
It comes under Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. It aims to provide psycho-social support to students, teachers, and beyond for their mental health and well-being under the Ministry of Education which was launched on 21 July 2020.
As a part of this initiative, the government has also given (844 844 0632) a National Toll-Free Helpline Number to deal with students’ psychosocial matters.
2. KIRAN INITIATIVE
Kiran Initiative provides the 24×7 Toll-Free Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline number (1800-500-0019).
It was launched by Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment in September 2020 to provide relief and support to persons with Mental Illness.
WHO GUIDELINES TO HELP COUNTRIES REDUCE GLOBAL SUICIDE these are:-
1. Curbing entry to the means of suicide, such as highly dangerous pesticides and firearms.
2. Enlightening the media on ethical reporting of suicide.
3. Fostering socio-emotional life skills in adolescents.
4. Early identification, assessment, management, and follow-up of anyone affected by suicidal thoughts and behavior.
UN NATIONS WORLD MENTAL HEALTH DAY
Every year 10 October is observed as world mental health day to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world.
The 2021 year’s theme was ‘Mental Health Care for all: Let’s make it a reality.
This is the responsibility of every individual to promote and works towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goal number 3 which talks about Good health and Well-being.